LightHouse Fitness Partner Programhttp://lighthouse-sf.org/programs/fitness-partner-program/
I was totally inspired by Scott Jurek's volunteer work with visually-impaired runners. Add this to the endless list of why Scott Jurek is the coolest human being alive... He has helped numerous individuals finish races by being a "sighted runner." I was inspired to follow in his footsteps - and found a local (SF Bay Area) organization that can use our help.
Please consider volunteering! It's as simple as 1-2-3!
How to volunteer:
- Complete volunteer registration: http://lighthouse-sf.org/donate/volunteer/
- Fingerprinting and Background Check: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations (This costs about $20)
- Attend volunteer training: 10:30am - Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 214 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
- There is a demand for sighted athletes who can walk / run with visually-impaired athletes
- You will probably be running and/or walking in the city (trails are hard to navigate)
- You will probably be running with a “lead” rope (see photo)
- Your schedule is up to YOU and your athlete - once a week, once a month, whatever works for you. You chose where to meet and how often.
- In addition to individual training, we may organize group hikes and will need volunteers
Have questions?Justine Harris-Richburgh - Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com
Maggie Tides - BayBirds contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Jurek Storieshttp://blog.scottjurek.com/post/86907886709/had-a-blast-guiding-a-blind-runner-luanne-in-the